Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Testing

A couple weeks ago I took Connor in to see his pediatrician.  He wasn't due for another visit until his 9 month appointment, but I was concerned about his weight gain (or lack of weight gain) and didn't want to wait a whole month.  He had only gained a few ounces since the previous month.  He weighed in tall and skinny--28" and 15 lbs 9 oz.  The doctor wasn't too concerned, but he did offer to have tests done just to make sure there's nothing wrong that is causing his low weight gain.

We went back the next day and Connor had a blood and urine test and a chest x-ray.  It was so sad!  For the x-ray, he had to sit in this cylinder contraption with his arms straight up.  I couldn't stay in the room.  I'm so glad Derek was there.  I'm pretty sure getting his blood drawn was even less fun for our brave little boy.  I had to hold him on my lap while two medical people did their thing.  Apparently Connor was trying to kick his way free.  The man sitting in front of us holding his arm said he wished he had worn his cup that day.

After a few days of trying not to worry and struggling to trust God with the outcome, the tests came back completely normal.  He is perfectly fine!  I was relieved, and not just for these tests.  I have worried about Connor's weight since he was about 4 months old.  I've questioned my milk supply, stressed about how many minutes he nurses for, etc.  Now I know for sure: Connor is healthy, happy, and skinny! 

In the past two weeks since the tests, he has actually gained almost a pound (major attempts to fatten him up still underway).  While that is huge progress, it's even better knowing that whatever he gains or doesn't gain, he is just fine.

I just love this little guy!


No comments:

Post a Comment